You want your email provider to catch the spam and send it “out of sight, out of mind”. The problem with this is some providers (*cough*Yahoo!*cough*) are notorious for sweeping your good emails into spam or worse yet, not even delivering them at all. How do you fix this? Whitelist the emails you want to receive. This page covers most common providers and how to whitelist the emails.
What email do you whitelist?
If the newsletter doesn’t tell you, normally it’s the “from” email. Sometimes you can just whitelist the domain (like eponamail.com) and that will affect all email addresses at a given domain.
Scroll down and find your mail provider and then click on the box to see the instructions on how to whitelist the email.
If the email landed in your spam folder, open the email, then click the button that says NOT SPAM at the top to move it to your inbox.
If the email landed in your promotions tab, open the email, click on the three buttons in the upper right and choose “Move To”, then “Primary”. This will move the email to your main inbox.
Then, add the sender to your contacts list.
- Open the email
- Click the three dot button to the right of the reply arrow. In that drop down list choose “add to contacts”. If you don’t have that open, great! You’ve already added the sender to your contacts.
Open the email. If it is in the promotions tab, click on the three dots in the upper right and click “Move to”, then “Primary”. This will move the email to your main inbox.
Then, follow the instructions to add the email to your contacts list. Click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner of the open email. Click on “add to contacts” to add the email to your contacts.
Yahoo!Mail (also AT&T)
If the email has gone into spam (very common with Yahoo!Mail), then open the email and click NOT SPAM.
Then, once the email is in your main inbox, open the email.
- Move your mouse over (or tap) the “Gear” icon in the top right navigation bar.
- Select SETTINGS from the list.
- Choose FILTERS on the left side of the page.
- Click ADD on the Filters page.
- Create a name like “whitelist” in the FILTER NAME field.
- In the FROM field leave the default CONTAINS selected.
- Enter the email address of the sender in the text box next to Contains…
- Choose the folder you’d like the message delivered. Please select Inbox.
- Click or tap SAVE.
- You’ll see your filter on the next screen. Click or tap SAVE here.
iMail will put the email in the junk folder. You will need to check this folder about every 30 days as there is no “official” whitelist function.
Then complete the following:
- Open your Mail app and go to the Mailboxes screen
- Scroll down to the folders area
- Select the JUNK folder
- Find the email you want to keep in your inbox and slide it left to see your options.
- Tap the MORE button.
- Tap the MARK button.
- Tap the MARK NOT AS JUNK button.
Outlook Mobile App
Outlook will move the mail either to your spam/junk or your “Other” inbox. You’ll want to move it to your inbox in this manner:
- Open the email.
- Click the three button drop down menu at the upper-right corner.
- Click on the button that says “MOVE TO FOCUSED INBOX”.
- Choose “move this and all future messages”.
- Click MOVE.
Outlook 2003, 2016, and Outlook 365
- Right click the email in your Inbox email list pane.
- On the menu displayed move your mouse over or tap JUNK
- Click or tap on NEVER BLOCK SENDER in the manu. The resulting popup will say: “The sender of the selected message has been added to your Safe Senders List.”
- Click OK
To add sender to address book:
- Open the email
- Right click on the from address
- Choose ADD TO CONTACTS option
Outlook.com (Use for Hotmail/MSN)
aka Live/Windows Live
If an email is moved to spam, click on the “Wait It’s Safe” link. This is the ONLY way to whitelist in this provider.
You’ll go to your JUNK folder and open the email. Then click the “Wait it’s safe” Link.
Or you can manually add to the safe list.
- Click the gear icon in the top right.
- Select OPTIONS
- On the options page under “PREVENTING JUNK EMAIL” click “SAVE AND BLOCKED SENDERS”
- Click the link SAFE SENDERS on the next page.
- Enter the sender’s email.
- Click ADD TO LIST
If the email ends up in spam, RIGHT CLICK the email, and then click NOT SPAM.
To add the sender’s email to your Address Book:
- Open the email
- Click on SHOW DETAILS link next to the sender’s name in the from field.
- Move your mnouse over or tap the email address to show the menu.
- Click or tap ADD CONTACT
- Add the person’s name to the name fields.
- Click ADD CONTACT
Please log into your Xfinity account and select your Comcast webmail. If the email shows up in your spam folder, open it, click the not spam icon in the top toolbar.
Then, add the sender’s email to your address book.
- Open the email.
- Click on the button at the top left of the email that says ‘Add to address book’.
- On your edit contact screen, click SAVE.
Earthlink is a bit tricky and may do several things with the email. First, check the SUSPECT EMAIL folder and then add the sender’s email to your address book.
If that doesn’t work, then you may have a SpamBlocker turned on. Messages are automatically sent there if the domain isn’t in your address book. So again, add the email to your address book.